Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So then . . .

Back to Monday night . . . our "wedding" present to ourselves (other than the trip) was to go see the LOVE show that Cirque du Soleil has at The Mirage. Tickets were outrageous (but not nearly as expensive as Elton John at Ceasar's Palace) but well worth every single cent.

I wore my veil as we'd been told that a lot of places would give brides free stuff, go to the front of the line, etc. It had gotten us a timeshare presentation at the Venitian as a "gift". Right. However, when we got up to the bar at the show, it did get us a great big popcorn for free instead of whatever monstrous amount they were charging. We got souvenier cups holding our drinks - I think my Margarita was $15 and Ed's soda was $8 or so. At least they were both really good AND we got the cool cups.

I'd gotten us balcony seats so we'd be able to see all that was going on - it wasn't as high as I'd expected, but high enough. We got seated and I noticed a black bar behind the seats all the way around the theater on every row. That was part of the sound system! You really were surrounded by the music!

It was truly the most incredible production I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of fabulous shows - Phantom of the Opera, Queen concerts, and lots of Muny productions. But this? It certainly flies to the top.

I'd never seen a Cirque production and Ed assures me that this one was very different from most, but still amazing. Now, a Cirque production that will be, probably, even more amazing than this one? When Chriss Angel and Cirque appear at The Luxor (starting in September) with "Believe". This guy is my all time favorite illusionist - and him with Cirque? Way cool.

Once the show was over, we headed back to the car and back to the hotel for some additional gaming. Well, for Ed. I went to bed!

Part of Tuesday's detailed in another post, so I'll take up from there. One of the side tournaments began Tuesday night and it was funny (yet sad) that we found out just how much we depend on each other for bowling! There was construction going on in the house and where Ed was set to bowl, I wasn't allowed to be. I was pissed and almost cried right there in the house. Ed was pissed, too, and it showed in his scoring that evening. I had never really realized just how much I enjoy watching him do his thing; point out what he might be able to try next; bolster his confidence if it's needed. I knew he liked me being there, but it turned out he "needs" me there and that is VERY cool. After the bowling we went back upstairs and turned in for the night. At least I did - I'm the early bird in this family!

Wednesday I checked my bank's web site and yes, the transaction with the hotel had been reversed, but there were now FOUR overdraft charges at $35 each! Marched my not so happy ass back down to the front desk and told them what had happened and was given the name of the hotel manager to speak with. No prob. I'll certainly speak with her! Called my bank and told them what had happened and they were surprised that the hotel hadn't asked for a reversal of any overdraft charges as hotels will typically do so. Imagine my surprise - NOT! I was beginning (?) to get a very bad taste in my mouth of this place.

Called the hotel manager and told her the long sordid story and she apologized profusely, comped us one of the expensive nights and apologized yet again. Well, fine and dandy we got our room for free for one night - IF we had been on the strip, I'm betting at least 1/2 of the stay would have been comped, not just one night. I've heard that most places want you to stay/leave very happy and satisfied so you'll spread the word. Apparently not SAM'S TOWN. Won't be staying there again - you can bet on that one.

Checked my Commerce account and it still hadn't been corrected so since I was in a "you'd better straighten up" mood, I called them and within a few minutes, had those overdrafts corrected.

I was SO tired of fussing and fighting with everyone and here it was - Wednesday. Half the trip over and I'd been stressed out every day with some sort of stupid thing.

Luckily, no more stuff like that happened for the remainder of the trip!!

Wanting to play on a real table, I picked Roulette. We found a table that wasn't being used although the dealer was still there. Told him I'd never done it and wanted to give it a try. I had no idea how much table etiquette there was! I would try and hand him things and he would tell me to put it on the table. I took my chip away before his marker had been moved away. I did learn a lot! AND - my first bet hit! I'd put a $1 chip on the "21" (my birthday) and got a $35 payoff on it! I continued playing and an older fellow comes up, cashes a $100 for chips, plays for about 15 minutes, DOUBLES his money and cashes out. The dealer looked at me and said "and that's the way it's done" - boy, no kidding! Soon after, I busted out and told him "and that's the way it's NOT done". We all had a laugh on it and I spent $20 to learn to play Roulette!

Wednesday night was our time at the Freemont Street Experience. It was amazing! The lights, the sound system, the new sax player I "found" on the street. What a totally cool idea and place. We needed something to eat for dinner and not wanting to eat a lot, we went to this little hole in the wall kind of place and had chili dogs. It was really what I would have expected on the streets of NYC - pretzels, sandwiches, slices and dogs. What a cool thing!

Wednesday was Ed's night with the Roulette video game. He did very, very well and instead of cashing out, decided to push it and lost all he'd gained. He was quite angry with himself and I reminded him - it wasn't "real" money yet because he hadn't cashed out and held the money in his hand - it'd only been numbers on the machine. Between that and a talk with a friend of ours who gambles and wins AND loses, he felt much, much better about it all.

No comments: